Tuesday, April 27, 2010

So many things...


So much has happened in the last few weeks, none expected. My neatly laid plans fell through the cracks oh so quickly. My good friend lost her place to live and took up residence in my tiny studio with me for the last 3 wks or so. Needless to say, it's difficult to get much done personally with someone else living practically on top of you. I'm glad I could be of help though. As of my last post, we did have a brilliant dinner. Here are some pics of making baked gnocchi with a gorgonzola pear sauce. It was really tasty but a little chewy. They overworked the potato a bit and developed too much of the gluten. We also had steamed artichokes with lemon butter sauce, roast chicken and bacon brussels sprouts. It was fantastically delicious. We paired all of this with about 10 bottles of wine and champagne. It was a lush evening but so very needed.

My sister cracking up at her lack of gnocchi making skills. It was pretty funny to watch!






















I can't wait to make this a tradition although next time I'm making people bring their dishes cooked from home so i'm not stuck with three days worth of dishes to do.

I officially started my second job, which is exhausting. It has made me extremely grateful for my job at Poco, and for cooking in general. I've decided that I am not a front-of-house kind of person. I like being behind the scenes and I think I'll just stick with that. I guess for now it's broadening my horizons and forcing me out of my comfort zone. Working 60-70 hrs a week is not ideal but it is nice to know the bills are getting paid and school loans are slowly dwindling.

Now that my friend is moving out of my place and off to Maine tomorrow, it's time to get back on track. I spent the weekend BBQing on Vashon, shooting guns in Bothell, and dining at Via Tribunali on the Hill. What a lovely weekend. I out-shot my friend who took me which was funny since I haven't shot a gun in probably 5 yrs. Forgot how much I enjoy it. I feel like that sounds a little creepy but I think most people who have shot one would agree.

Via Tribunali was great. We were there for Seattle Restaurant Week and still managed to spend a pretty penny. We started with clams in white wine and a charcuterie plate. Both good but the meat was a little dry, like it had been sitting out awhile. We followed up with two pizzas, one margarita and the other prosciutto, arugula and fresh tomato. They were very tasty and very large. We definitely took leftovers home, which i ate for breakfast. Lastly for dessert we had a rum cake and chocolate gelato with coffee. The rum cake was shaped quite interestingly. I can't imagine how the chef let that design go without a good laugh. We certainly shared one. I'm kicking myself for not taking a picture.


Thats all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment