Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Some of my favorite things...

Can i just say that i love my mortar and pestle! It's so much better to grind your spices fresh and there is just something homey and wonderful about using a mortar rather than a spice grinder. I think it helps you connect to your food. It's like you appreciate it more when you've put in the effort to do things in an organic way! Also I've been playing with pink peppercorns lately. So floral and lovely. I use them in a poaching liquid reduction with lavender and honey after i lightly poach fresh figs. It turns out bright pink and slightly sweet. Drizzle over the figs and serve with some herbed ricotta and crackers. Its a great little snack! Also, beautiful carrots from Full Circle Farms. They are in season right now and come in a myriad of colors. You can get them at farmers market and specialty food stores. Sosios in Pike Place usually has a great selection and the nicest people! Its a great way to spice up a vegetable tray or hummus plate. I just peal them and split them lengthwise and serve them raw with a little S&P and a drizzle of olive oil. Hope you get a chance to try them!

No comments:

Post a Comment